Caston Camera Club – Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee
The purpose of this document is to outline the roles and responsibilities of each of the members of the Caston Camera Club Committee. The activities identified should not be seen as exhaustive but as a general guideline. The Committee will deal with specific or one-off tasks, as necessary.
The responsibilities of the Chairman are:
- To facilitate all club meetings. This involves opening and closing the meeting, ensuring that the meeting runs to schedule and relating information, as required, to the membership. When lecturers are present at a meeting, this also involves introducing the lecturer and arranging for them to be thanked at the end of the evening.
- To facilitate and chair all Committee meetings. This involves setting the agenda to the meetings, ensuring that the meeting runs to schedule, that the Committee stays on agenda and that all members have a chance to air their views. Where required, the Chairman shall also act as final decision maker.
- To set the agenda for, and to chair, the club’s AGM.
- To support the other Committee members, as required, and to ensure that all actions are addressed in good time to ensure the smooth running of the club.
- To ensure that the best interests of the club and the membership are addressed at all times. • To be a secondary signatory to the club account (as long as the Chairman is not related to the Treasurer or Secretary).
The responsibilities of the Vice Chairman are:
- To preside over all meetings in the absence of the Chairman, and to assist the Chairman and other Committee members in all activities of the Club.
- To promote club events through all appropriate media.
- To be the main point of contact within the club regarding the liaison with the press or other advertising/marketing mediums.
- To raise awareness of the club in the local community.
- To identify to the committee, opportunities to advertise or market the club.
- To work with all the other Committee members, where necessary, regarding the provision of articles and information for the purpose of advertising the club or promoting club activities.
The responsibilities of the Treasurer are:
- To collect all membership fees (including guest fees), and to pay all expenses, within agreed timescales
- To ensure that the Membership Secretary has details of all members subscription status.
- To maintain an accurate and auditable record of all club income and expenditure (petty cash and bank account) and to liaise with the appointed independent accounts auditor to ensure that all records are fully audited prior to the AGM.
- To be the main point of contact with regards to matters associated with club finances.
- To be the prime signatory to the club account
- To be the sole point of contact when booking meeting venues.
The responsibilities of the Secretary are:
- To be the main point of contact for the club for information and enquiries and to respond to these enquiries in good time in order to maintain the good reputation of the club. Where enquiries are from possible new members, to pass their contact details to the Membership Secretary in good time for the Membership Secretary to respond appropriately in order to promote a good view of the club.
- To co-ordinate the distribution of information to all club members (via e-mail and post where appropriate)
- To act as main point of contact for members of the Committee to send out information to the club members.
- To liaise with the Chairman on club matters arising, to undertake to write and maintain a full record of all formal Committee activities and forward Committee calling notices and agendas as required.
- To record and distribute minutes and agenda for the AGM. Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee
The responsibilities of the Programme Secretary are:
- To undertake to plan a varied and balanced programme to meet the needs of the membership (in conjunction with the Committee).
- To liaise with the Competition Secretary to ensure that all club competitions, including judges and closing dates where appropriate, have been included in the programme
- To ensure that the appropriate speakers/presenters are booked in good time to ensure a successful programme.
- To establish the requirements of the speakers/presenters in good time prior to at the meeting so that their needs can be addressed and to confirm attendance
- To ensure that contingency plans for the programme are in place
- To liaise with the Treasurer to ensure that the presenters fees are agreed and noted prior to attendance
- To brief the Chairman, as appropriate, prior to the start of a club meeting when a speaker/presenter is in attendance.
- To apprise the membership of changes in the programme, as necessary, and to provide programme details, as and when requested
- To liaise with the web site manager to ensure that the master programme is held on the web site and is current and complete.
The responsibilities of the Competition Secretaries are:
- To agree an equitable distribution of responsibility for individual competitions.
- To liaise with the Programme Secretary to ensure that appropriate judges are booked in line with the club and interclub competitions identified in the programme.
- To maintain a record of all pictures submitted to competitions.
- To ensure that all submitted pictures are properly identified and recorded prior to delivery to the judge and to undertake that delivery (where necessary).
- To maintain a list of all competitions requiring club entry during the year, the entry dates and the criteria, and to apprise the Committee in good time for picture selection and submittal.
- To brief the Chairman, as appropriate, prior to the start of a club meeting when a judge is in attendance.
- To liaise with the competition judges to ensure that all scores are accurately recorded and to maintain a record of these throughout the year.
- To liaise with the web site manager to ensure that all competition details (club, interclub and other) are available on the web site.
- To liaise with the web site manager to provide all details of club and individual successes in order to recognise individuals and promote the club. Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee
The responsibilities of the Membership Secretary are:
- To maintain a full and accurate list of club members and their details and to ensure that this data is held securely. Member’s private details may not be shared with third parties without their prior consent.
- To respond to possible members, either from direct contact or via the club Secretary, appropriately and in good time in order to promote a good view of the club.
- To maintain a ‘Welcome Pack’ for new members or those who have shown an interest in the club.
- To make all new members to the club welcome.
- To ensure that all members are aware of the club constitution and the rules and guidelines of the club competitions and to ensure that these are updated appropriately.
- To liaise with the Treasurer regarding attendance details and to maintain a link to those people who have not been to the club for a number of meetings
- To liaise with the web site manager to ensure that the constitution and the rules and guidelines of the club competitions are current and available on the web site.
- To liaise with the Treasurer to ensure that all membership fees are paid by members within agreed timescales work.
General Responsibilities – Caston Camera Club Committee
All members of the Committee shall undertake the following activities as required:
- To represent and maintain the good name of the club at all times.
- To be involved in all club decision making processes and to abide by the consensus decision for the good of the club.
- To network at all events in order to provide the club with new contacts.
- To be accountable for club equipment and to provide appropriate storage for the same.
- To support the Vice Chairman in providing articles and information for the purpose of advertising and promoting either a specific activity or the club in general.
In the event of an exhibition being organised the role of the Exhibition Secretary is:
- To organise and set-up member’s print exhibitions during the season at times agreed with the Programme Secretary.
- To assist, where appropriate, in organising and setting-up external exhibitions of club member’s photographs